Software porting in the retail sector
The project consisted in the iso-functional porting of two internal store management software programs, previously used by the customer on old barcode reading terminals.
Total project duration : 12 months
The total cost of the project was 350 man-days.
Details of the project :
Rewrite the two above-mentioned software programs, with identical functionalities, for a new type of terminal: Symbol MC3090 (Windows CE v5.0).
For the realization of the project, 3 persons have been allocated :
- 1 project manager, technical and functional manager
- 2 development engineers
This contract was executed entirely with Tana Corp resources dedicated to the project.
Main characteristics of the client
The Monoprix group operates 4 banners for more than 300 stores in France. It employs 20,000 people and has a turnover of more than 3.5 billion euros. The food sector also represents 64% of the group’s turnover.
Conduct of the project
Advice and support role provided throughout the project
- A real force of accompaniment: The organization of the project gives a primordial importance to the quality of the accompaniment, to make the customer benefit from the expertise and the know-how capitalized by Tana Corp on its projects of the same type.
- Consulting strength : Our solid experience on management applications in the field of distribution and fixed-price projects has enabled us to provide the customer with the best market practices in this field. Moreover, Tana Corp is a force of proposal in the highlighting of functional options likely to bring a strong functional added value.
- Expertise on mobile application: A large part of the application being developed on mobile/embedded hardware, Tana Corp brought all its know-how on the adaptation of the application ergonomics on a “small” screen in order to improve productivity.
Methodology proposed to validate the stages of the project from a customer’s point of view
Proposed project reporting
A monthly steering committee enabled us to steer this long-term project in close collaboration with the client.
Tools chosen for the project management
Project Management: MS Project
Incident follow-up : BugX (based on Mantis) http://www.mantisbt.org/)
Version and configuration tracking: SubVersion (http://subversion.tigris.org/)
Business processes covered by the solution
- Order picking
- Price audit
- Competitive price lists
- Label printing
What were the most difficult features to implement ?
The synchronization part with the central mainframe system used a 30-year-old protocol (MSI2WAY), which did not exist in the target technology.
Solution: Implementation of the protocol from scratch.
technical platform elements
Software package, software or development languages used
After analysis of all the constraints, Tana Corp proposed the realization of a custom application, based entirely on a Microsoft solution :
- Microsoft .Net Compact Framework, C# language
Reasons for the choice
- Microsoft .Net Compact Framework with C#: In order to improve productivity, the interface had to offer improved ergonomics. The choice of this technology, as well as the embedded hardware, was made in close collaboration with the customer.
Share of pre-existing developments used on which the Supplier capitalized to complete the project
- Application trace tool (logs) already implemented on other mobile applications
Challenges and key success factors
- Embedded: application running on a mobile terminal limited in performance and capacity,
- Ergonomics: daily use of the application in a production context,
- Synchronization: update of the central mainframe on user request (product repositories and order taking).
Today the application is operated in production and has allowed to:
- considerably reduce the training time of a new employee thanks to its user-friendly interface,
- replace old mobile terminals that were no longer supported by the manufacturer with a new range.